Who would you select to join your team?
What would be the hidden message behind each statement?
- A White man or woman clutches her purse or checks his wallet as a Black or Latino man approaches or passes them.
- An assertive female manager is labeled as a “bitch,” while her male counterpart is described as “a forceful leader.”
- Students use the term “gay” to describe a fellow student who is socially ostracized.
- A blind man reports that people often raise their voices when speaking to him. He responds by saying, “Please don’t raise your voice; I can hear you perfectly well.”
- The outfit worn by a TV reality-show mom is described as “classless and trashy.”
- A lesbian client in therapy reluctantly discloses her sexual orientation to a straight therapist by stating she is “into women.” The therapist indicates he is not shocked by the disclosure because he once had a client who was “into dogs.”
- A female physician wearing a stethoscope is mistaken for a nurse.
- A Black couple is seated at a table in the restaurant next to the kitchen despite there being other empty and more desirable tables located at the front.
- An Asian American born and raised in the United States is complimented for speaking “good English.”